Sunday, August 17, 2008

Walkin' Blues

"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning?" - Psalm 22:1

I remember when I first discovered the blues. It was in the mid 1990s, and someone had turned me on to playing the blues harmonica. I began to steep myself in the blues, particularly the blues harp masters: Little Walter, Big Walter, Paul Butterfield, Sonny Boy Williamson II, Charlie Musselwhite and others.

I was enjoying learning about and listening to the blues, but I began to wonder whether, as a person of faith, I should be listening so much to music that was, well, pretty "raw." Many blues songs deal with the seamier side of life: drinking, fighting... pick your vice.

While many blues songs are indeed of the down-and-out variety, many celebrate the good things in life, like time spent with good friends, or the love of a fine woman or man. Blues deals honestly with both the bright and the dark sides of life, and there's something tremendously freeing in that. Listening to – and in my case playing – the blues is an uplifting experience, no matter the topic. If the singer is pouring out his/her heart about life's troubles, we nod our heads with empathy and affirmation. If the singer is jumping for joy over his/her good fortune, we grin and say "Amen!" Ask just about anybody who loves the blues and they'll tell you that listening blues music always makes them feel better.

In my view, there's a strong connection between the blues and faith. Take a look at the Bible itself. It covers the whole spectrum of human experience and emotion, from abject sorrow to unspeakable joy. One of the best examples I know of is book of Psalms. Check out Psalm 22, which begins "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" If that's not the blues, I don't know what is.

Like the blues, the book of Psalms tells it like it is. King David and the other writers of the Psalms pour out their hearts openly and honestly, both the good and the bad, as they pursue a life of authentic faith. God invites all of us to that kind of walk, and I for one am signing up.

And if you have any issues with all of the sex talk in blues music, read the Bible's Song of Solomon. I rest my case.

No comments: