Monday, August 25, 2008

Pack Light

This was inspired by an experience I had on our first family trip to Hawaii...

Pack Light

Two weeks of vacation
The whole family is going to
Hawaii for the very first time

"Pack light" they told me
And so I did:
Swim trunks
Shorts
Sandals
A few T-shirts and tank tops
And a sport shirt and cotton slacks
Just in case

But I didn't realize that somewhere
In that little tote bag
Underneath that stuff
I had brought a whole lot of baggage:
Work agendas
Strategic plans
Action lists
And a bunch of bundled up feelings
Just waiting for a safe opportunity to unload

Adam fell in Paradise
And I carried on the grand tradition
With a critical heart
An authoritarian attitude
Harsh words
And a spirit that somewhere
Along my career path
had forgotten how to relax

Thank God I was given the chance to
Jettison the baggage overboard
In the depths of the sea where it belonged
And start over

Next time, I trust I've learned my lesson:
When traveling to Paradise
Pack light

No comments: