Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Hey Grandpa!

Trudi and I were excited when we heard the news that Dana and Jorge were expecting a baby. As word got out, friends would ask me, "How's it feel to be a grandfather?" Well, to be honest, I didn't know. In all of my roles in life, I'd always been able to see myself in the next one. As a married guy, I could imagine being a dad. As a father, I could picture myself as a father-in-law. But a grandfather? I had no idea.

That all changed on April 24, 2008, the day Loretta Joy "Lori" Hernandez was born. Jorge called me (Trudi was en route to Houston; she missed the birth by 30 minutes!) and gave me the good news. The next day, I flew out to meet Lori myself. When I entered the hospital room and saw her for the first time, I did a double take. At 4 pounds, 14 ounces, she was a tiny thing. The nurses called her "peanut," and I think the nickname may stick.

When I held her, that's when being a grandfather became real for me. I wasn't just a grandfather, I was her grandfather. It wasn't about a new role for me, it was about a new life that I'd been given to love and who would love me. Since then we've been blessed with a week-long visit from the amazing Lori (who was thoughtful enough to bring her parents along to care for her). She's a total joy (pun intended), strong and spunky, and cute as all get-out. You can follow her adventures on the His and Hernandez blog.

And there's a whole 'nother blessing in store for me. Megan and Ryan Smith are expecting their first child in February 2009. Grandpa times two. How cool is that? Check out the Ryan & Megan Smith blog for the latest on this new life.

1 comment:

His and Hernandez said...

Fantastic! I think you've officially got the hang of this blogging thing! I LOVED your post! Very honest, sincere, and very "you". "Hearing" You talk about Lori made me get a little teary. I can't wait to read more! I'm a fan!