Sunday, August 24, 2008

A Belated 18th Birthday Present

I turned 56 yesterday. Let me tell you about a gift I got myself, sort of a belated 18th birthday present...

Back when I was a senior in high school, a friend brought her boyfriend to a football game. He'd just come back from a tour of duty in the South Pacific with the Seabees, the construction batallions of the US Navy. These bad boys are the heavy equipment operators who build bases, air strips, roads and bridges, sometimes under enemy fire. This guy looked like he could pull out trees with his bare hands. Then I noticed that he had ear rings - the Navy emblem - in both ears. Evidently this is not uncommon among Seabees serving in the South Pacific.

I thought that was the coolest look ever, and wanted to pierce my ear ever since. Of course, the times being what they were (almost no guys did that back in the 70's), I didn't. Even when times changed, I still held out. Ever the approval junkie, I was worried about what people would think. I used to tell my kids, "You'd worry a lot less about what other people think of you if you knew how seldom they do." I wish I'd taken my own advice a lot earlier.

So two weeks ago, at Claire's in Monterey, I gave myself an early birthday present and got my ear pierced. I like it. I like the way it looks, and more than that, I like how I feel about it.

No comments: