Sunday, August 31, 2008

Shaving the Old Fashioned Way

Those who know me well, know that I have a rather old-fashioned morning ritual: vintage shaving with a badger hair brush, a puck of shaving soap and a vintage double-edged razor. Sometimes called wetshaving, this is the way my dad shaved. My grandfather shaved like that, too, except he used a straight (aka, "cutthroat") razor (and no, I'm not gutsy enough to try that).

How'd I get into it? About 10 years ago, I started getting a lot of skin irritation after shaving, and a friend suggested I get rid of the canned foam and try making my own lather with a shaving brush and soap. Oh yeah, I said to myself, just the way my dad used to do it. From there, I picked up a few double-edged (DE) safety razors, like the one I learned on back in the 60s, and an assortment of premium shaving soaps and creams in all sorts of nice scents like lime, almond and lavender. Over the years I've amassed a handful of shaving brushes, a whole bunch of DE razors and enough shave creams and soaps to last me years.

Do I get a better shave? Well, I don't have the skin problems I used to have, so yes. Is it closer than a modern multi-blade. No, but it's about equal if you do it right. But the quality of the shave is only one reason I enjoy it. It's also got a lot of retro appeal. All of that vintage shaving gear is just plain cool. And I like having a choice of lather. Lemon/lime or menthol for those hot summer days. Sandalwood or lavender for fall and winter.

What began as a way to reduce razor burn has become an enjoyable morning ritual. You've got to slow down a bit when you're whipping up your own shaving lather instead of squirting it out of a aerosol can. You also have to pay a little more attention using a DE razor than one of the new multi-blade razors. Given today's pace of life, slowing down and taking time for yourself is a good thing!

No comments: