Friday, January 30, 2009

Grandpa, meet Wyatt!

Meet Wyatt Browning Smith, first child of Ryan and Megan Smith. Wyatt was born at 4:00 p.m. on January 29, 2009. He weighed in at 6 pounds, 6 ounces, and is 19.5 inches long. Mom and baby are doing well, as is proud papa Ryan.

Wyatt is my second grandchild and my first grandson, and I have to say that I'm really digging being a grandpa. Here's a pic of me with my new little buddy. I'll post some better quality pics when I get them.

He's a cute little guy. The baby hat, which they put on all newborns, gives him an adorable Hobbit-like quality. Who does he look like? Hard to tell. Frankly, Megan and Ryan look enough alike that he's probably a pretty even blend of both of them. But time will tell. That's one of the fun things about watching a baby grow.

So far as I know, he's the first Wyatt in the family. But it sounds great with Smith, doesn't it? And Browning is a family name that's been handed down as a middle name for generations. The Brownings were residents of the Jamestown colony in the early 1600s (as was John Smith, come to think of it!). They participated in the westward movement in the 1800s, and several Browning women broke through gender barriers in medicine and law in the early 1900s. A "can do" bunch, and no doubt Wyatt will continue this legacy.

Wyatt Browning Smith. Rock solid name, don't you think?

More to come soon. I just had to share the news!

No comments: