Friday, January 16, 2009

My Fathering Goals

Interesting what you find when you look through old files. Here are my fathering goals from 1997. Megan was just finishing up her sophomore year in high school, and Dana her eighth grade year. I don't recall where I got them. Maybe from a book, or an email that someone sent me.

In any case, looking back, these are still the goals I would choose if I were a new father, and I share them with you.

Dave

DB's Fathering Goals
March 1997

  1. Frequently affirm her strengths, unique talents and value. Celebrate her successes, large and small.

  2. Lovingly encourage her and sacrificially support her in her areas of weakness.
  3. Remind her patiently; don't lecture her. You, too, are still growing.

  4. Keep your promises, and help her keep hers.
  5. Do not force your agenda or life goals on her, but help her discover her dreams and God's plans for her life.
  6. Teach her that success is not measured by grades, popularity, looks, wealth, power or worldly achievements. Only what we do for the Kingdom of God will last.
  7. Forgive completely; apologize quickly and sincerely.

  8. Pray continually for her, and frequently with her.
  9. Teach her how to walk a life of faith, first by example, then with words. This foundation of faith will give guidance in uncertain times, strength in hard times, and perspective in good times.
  10. When in doubt, ask "What would Jesus do?"

No comments: