Thursday, January 8, 2009

I Get So Busy I Forget I'm In Love With You

No sooner had the Christmas merchandise and decorations been removed from stores than the Valentine's Day stuff started rolling in. Valentine's Day is still over a month away, but it got me thinking about the state of my own heart.

I've been going through some changes at work (new manager, new assignments... that sort of thing) and so I've been more than usually "me" focused lately. Needless to say, this has trickled over into my personal life.

When I got married, I promised to love, honor, stand beside, etc. In short, I signed up to serve Trudi in love. I don't recall hearing... and have yet to hear at anybody else's wedding... anything about making sure I got what I needed out of the deal. And yet, I think that's been how I've been acting lately.

For the umpteenth time, I'm re-realizing that "me-ism" is death to love. It's the antithesis of how things should be. Oh, sure, the opposite is also true: you can't be the only one who gives. But me-ism is, at least for me, the easier rut to get stuck in.

I'm reminded of a song by Noel Paul Stookey (of Peter, Paul & Mary) called "By Surprise" that has a great line:

I know it sounds funny, but it's true
I get so busy I forget I'm in love with you
And every now and then
We need to get away to get close again

Missing the mark in love isn't necessarily deliberate. Oftentimes I just let things slide. Or as the song says, I forget I'm in love. Over time, I can get way off course. Getting back on course can sometimes be a simple as remembering. Thinking about those early days, what first attracted (and continues to attract) me to Trudi, reminds my why I fell in love in the first place. And that reminds me that I'm still in love and encourages me to get back to a you-centered love: honoring, serving... cherishing the love of my life. From the big decisions in life down to the everyday little things like making the bed in the morning (which is important to her) or fixing a margarita just the way she likes it.

For those who want to know: 1 ounce each of tequila, water, fresh lime juice and agave nectar (more or less of each to taste).

1 comment:

teabarnes said...

I love you honey!!! You are incredibly sweet.