Monday, February 2, 2009

A Super Sunday with Wyatt

I promised to share some pics of my grandson, Wyatt Smith. Here is one from the hospital. On Superbowl Sunday, I got to spend a whole afternoon and evening with the little guy. Tons of fun! Got to hold him while he slept, and he slept a bunch. Being born really takes it out of you!

It's fun to see Megan and Ryan as first-time parents. Takes me back to when Megan was born. Even after all that preparation, you still don't know squat. You have to rely on God, on others, and on each other. And that's a good place to be.

Mid-afternoon, Ryan and I ran some errands, including buying and installing a dimmer switch on the living room light (so it wouldn't be shining in the baby's eyes), and driving down to pick up a rocking chair (an absolute necessity, as you parents know).

On the drive, Ryan was commenting that before Wyatt was born, he couldn't imagine what it would be like once he arrived. Now that he's here, Ryan can't imagine how it would be without him. That's a good place for a father to be. It means you're embracing the role, not just out of duty, but with your heart. Kids need dads who're engaged like that.

We got back from our errands in time to watch the Superbowl. Imagine that: baby's first Superbowl, though the little fella slept through a lot of it. He's not ready for solid food, so Ryan and I split his share of the chips!

It's also really special to see Megan as a new mom. She's one of the most naturally nurturing people I know. She and her sister Dana are both gifted in that way. And now Meg has a child of her very own to pour her life into. Parenting isn't easy, but it's easily the finest thing I've done. I look forward to watching Ryan and Megan experience this as well.

No comments: