Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Build and Rebuild

Another reflection from my fathering days. . .

Build and Rebuild

I bought a plastic model
A 1968 Pontiac Firebird
Just like the one I had in high school
Candy-apple red, black vinyl top
Sweet!
Hours and hours of cutting, trimming,
Painting and gluing
It's coming together pretty well

Hmmm, I just can seem to get these doors to fit
Maybe if I trim them just a bit

Uh oh, now you've done it

My anger mounts as every effort to fix it
Only makes things worse
Stupid car! **Smash!**

Embarrassed at my own behavior
I gently pick up my trashed model

Hours to build
Seconds to destroy
How easily I sacrifice my past investment
And future enjoyment
to gratify a moment's anger

The anger's gone now
But the car is still broken
It can be fixed, but it will take a lot more time

God, please help me with my anger

While I'm fixing the model, I reflect...

I need to go and have a quiet talk with my daughter
And apologize for my angry words last night

Time to rebuild

No comments: