Saturday, October 18, 2008

Approval Addicts Anonymous

Sorry for not posting for a while. Things have been pretty crazy at work. And when things get stressful, I tend to lapse back into old habits. And that's definitely been the case with me this past week.

In one of my earlier blogs I wrote about "Changes That Heal" by Dr. Henry Cloud. This book has really helped me gain insights into why I am the way I am and make some good progress with some issues that have plagued me much of my life. But it's not an overnight fix. With any deep-seated issue, it takes more than a good self-help book. It takes time, vigilance, prayer, insight from wise people, support from friends and family, etc.

One of my lifelong issues is approval addiction. This manifests itself in lots of ways: being overly cautious around authority figures, fear of failure, assuming the worst, procrastination, etc. I've been dealing with all of these this week.

So I've had to go back and do a refresher on "Changes That Heal." I also learned something from one of Jon Ortberg's sermons that has helped. He told about how his wife, Nancy, had taken him aside and shared some things that she felt he needed to work on. Though it was tough to hear, he knew he wanted to be rid of those issues, too. So an encounter that could have been a negative experience was in the end a positive one, an opportunity for growth.

Nothing gets better when it's not faced. Ignoring baggage won't get rid of it. It just wears you down having to schlep it around all the time. On the positive side, when we face something with the right attitude, the outcome can be profoundly beneficial and freeing.

As a result, I've been able to identify some of the baggage I need to get rid of. I'm honest to goodness looking forward to doing that.

Have a great week!

No comments: