Wednesday, November 5, 2008

One for the History Books

Wow! What an election night! Trudi and I spent the evening glued to the TV, taking it all in. Definitely one for the history books in so many ways.

I work with a lot of folks from outside the U.S., and they've been following this election as if it were their own. Probably because in many ways it is. Our influence in every aspect of the world scene is incalculable. U.S. conservatives are no doubt discouraged about last night's results, but let me tell you, the mood among my international colleagues is upbeat for the first time in years.

This morning I received an email from a friend in Germany. This morning he put up the Star-Spangled Banner, to brighten the gray autumn skies over his city and to show his solidarity with his American friends. He attached a song: Happy Days Are Here Again. I share his optimism.

No matter where you stand on the political spectrum, there is no doubt that a fresh wind is blowing in the U.S. and around the world. Pray that God's hand will continue to guide us.

No comments: