Saturday, November 1, 2008

Adventures in Bohemia

Trudi and I just spent a most unique Halloween evening at the Bohemian Club up in San Francisco. For those who may not be familiar with the Bohemian Club, it is a gentleman's club established in post-gold rush San Francisco for the purpose of fostering the arts. The club has attracted its share of the famous and influential, including politicians like Richard Nixon, moguls like William Randolph Hurst and entertainers like Merv Griffin. Throughout the year, members stage professional-level shows for the club, and occasionally guests as well. That's where Trudi and I came in.

The evening started with cocktails in the bar, which is on a scale that I've never experienced. Gigantic room, bigger than my house and a way-high ceiling. Finely appointed in lovely wood paneling. No expense spared. I don't have photos, so use your imagination (let is run free!).

After drinks (my usual Manhattan), we got a tour of the place. Oh my gosh. The library... wood paneling, paintings, books all the way up to the ceiling. Straight out of a Sherlock Holmes movie, and, like the bar, bigger than my house and taller, too.

Dinner was simply wonderful. Lamb as nice as I've ever had, and service equal to the cuisine. Terrific company. Met a very nice couple from Yountville who were guests of the Straders. Totally fun.

The Halloween night show featured the music of Van Morrison, and it was nothing short of fantastic. Our buddy John Hettel played bass, and friend Brett Strader was the musical director, which involved arranging the music, charting all of the scores, directing the orchestra and performing on piano. Whew! The emcee was (get this) actor and Bohemian Club member Malcolm McDowell, the star of "A Clockwork Orange" and countless other movies. His most recent role is Linderman on the TV show "Heroes." Even got to meet Malcolm after the show. Pretty cool.

There was dancing afterwards. One amusing incident: John Hettel and I were chatting while the band was playing. John walked away, and a woman standing nearby came up and asked me if John and I were gay. I made the mistake of saying "No." You know how just about every big party has one lady who tries to dance with every guy and ends up dancing just as happily with herself. That was her. Help? Trudi?

We got home way past the witching hour. Just a stellar night all around!

No comments: