Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Day My World Changed Forever

Yesterday's post was a silly one; this one's sentimental...

March 12, 1977, was the day my world changed forever. I'm not overstating it. It's the day I met Trudi. It was Saturday, and my roommate, Skip Rung, and I were attending a seminar at Menlo Park Presbyterian Church. Unbeknowst to me, Trudi was there, too. At noon we adjourned to the Fellowship Hall for lunch. Skip looked up and saw someone he recognized from MPPC's college group. "Oh, here's someone you should meet," he said.

I agreed. Now, I don't have the best memory for detail. But I will never forget the moment I saw her. I don't believe in love at first sight, not real love anyway. But the attraction was instantaneous. Long blonde hair, beautiful eyes, great figure, and that signature Trudi sparkle. I even remember what she was wearing: a long-sleeved white sweater, a blue scarf, and bell bottom blue jeans.

Our paths didn't cross again until a month or so later, but once they crossed, they never separated. We were married on December 17th of that year. This photo of Trudi on our wedding day is still one of my favorites.

It boggles my mind when I think about how much I owe to that day. Everything in my life... my daughters, my sons-in-law, my grandchildren, where we live, where we work, my hobbies, my friends... all of it flows from that "chance" meeting 32 years ago today.

God is good!

1 comment:

Meg said...

Such a cool post Dad! I love you guys!