Thursday, February 19, 2009

Sharing the Gift of Music

Ryan and Megan asked me if, when Wyatt gets older and expresses an interest in guitar, I would share guitar with him. Easy answer: You bet!

As I'd mentioned in an earlier blog entry, one of the sweetest memories I have of my grandfather was of him playing guitar, leading us in singing folk songs and silly songs. One of my favorites in the latter category is "One Fish Ball" ("A little man, walked up and down, to see what he could find in town"). But I digress.

There is something very special about passing things down from generation to generation, both for those who give and those who receive. I was given a blessed gift by my grandfather, who gave me my first guitar lesson shortly before he passed away. I now play his guitar, and think about him every time I pick it up. It was those early memories that helped shape my love of music, including silly/novelty songs.

No way I'm going to miss the chance to share the gift I myself received. Time to start collecting songs.

No comments: