Monday, November 3, 2008

Van the Man

My Halloween evening at the Bohemian Club (see my post from Nov. 1) inspired me to revisit my Van Morrison music collection. Van really is hard to categorize.

The music mega-database AllMusic.com describes him like this: "Equal parts blue-eyed soul shouter and wild-eyed poet-sorcerer, Van Morrison is among popular music's true innovators, a restless seeker whose incantatory vocals and alchemical fusion of R&B, jazz, blues, and Celtic folk produced perhaps the most spiritually transcendent body of work in the rock & roll canon."

That's a good description of a musician who pretty much defies description. Intensely private, he listens only to his own musical muse. A lot of you are familiar with his hits, including party anthems "Gloria" ("G-L-O-R-I-A, Gloria!") and "Brown Eyed Girl." All great stuff.

But some of his more interesting music... and the stuff I've been enjoying a lot lately... comes from later in his career, as he explored his spiritual side. How about these lyrics...

"When will I ever learn to live in God, when will I ever learn? He gives me everything I need and more, when will I ever learn?" ("When Will I Ever Learn To Live In God")

"Like a full force gale, I was lifted up again. I was lifted up again by the Lord. No matter where I roam, I will find my way back home. I will always return to the Lord." ("Full Force Gale")

"Whenever God shines his light on me, opens up my eyes so I can see. When I look up in the darkest night, I know everythings going to be alright." ("Whenever God Shines His Light")

These lines are from three of his many songs that reflect a deep spirituality. I'd be willing to be that any one of the above songs would get a great reception at Menlo Park Presbyterian. Now, to be sure, while his lyrics appear orthodox, as I understand it, his faith is anything but. But my view is this: God's truth is God's truth, no matter who says it. And whatever Van's personal testimony, the spiritual truth in his songs are a reflection of the one true God.

I encourage you to check out Van's music, particularly the above songs.

No comments: