Wednesday, December 17, 2008

It Was 31 Years Ago Today

There are pivotal moments in world history, for example, Pearl Harbor Day, December 7, 1941, "a date that will live in infamy" as Franklin Roosevelt so aptly put it. And then there are pivotal moments in our personal histories. December 17, 1977, is mine. Trudi and I were married 31 years ago today.

I'm not going to share any sage advice in this post, though I know what's worked for us. Today, I'm just going to celebrate what I've got now as a result of that one "I do" so many years ago:
  • A wife of both inner and outer beauty, the "jewel in my crown," who has grown and changed in countless ways over the years, yet in so many ways... in all the right ways... remained the same
Here's Trudi in 1977...

...and 2007

But wait, there's more! I've also got...

  • Two grown daughters who, while different as night and day, share the same tender heart and caring nature
  • Two fine sons-in-law, gentlemen both, who have blessed my life in countless ways and rounded me out as a father and as a man

  • Two awesome grandchildren, one just beginning to explore her world, and one awaiting his arrival into this world early next year

  • A fabulous extended family that, like my own nuclear family, continues to grow in number and character

  • An abundance of friends who have accepted me, enriched me, challenged me, forgiven me and generally "done life" with me
Does this read a little like a Hallmark card? Oh, I hope so. Is this maybe a little overly sentimental or corny? Sure, but that's how I am. Has it always been sweetness and light these past 31 years? Of course not. Like every other couple, we've had our share of tough times.

But this is my anniversary card, and it's from the heart. Happy anniversary, Trudi!

1 comment:

teabarnes said...

You are an amazing husband and I love you tons! I have NEVER gotten such a sweet Anniversary card!! Thank you honey and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY back!! xoxo